Do you want to write a job description that attracts competent freelance writers?
Good news: we have put together a job description template that you can adapt to your needs!
Choose the right job title
Your job title is the first thing that candidates see!
It is crucial to choose a job title that accurately describes the tasks and responsibilities of your position. Here are some job titles you can use to hire freelance writers:
- Freelance copywriter (for advertisements and publicity material)
- Web content writer (for blogs and websites)
- Technical writer (for manuals and whitepapers)
- Copy editor (to proofread texts and articles)
- Journalist (to write well-researched content)
Write a descriptive job summary
A job summary is an overview of the expectations that come with the job. It introduces the main point of the job description, like key responsibilities, functions, and duties.
Here’s a job summary template that you can adapt to your position:
Do you have a way with words?
Can you explain complex concepts in plain English?
Great, our company is looking for an experienced writer to craft content for our online commerce! The role of this position is to create engaging content that will attract users (and potential clients) from Google and other search engines.
We expect you to write 7-10 informational articles a month. The topics of the articles will be sent to you by our team; it revolves around swimming pools: “how to clean a swimming pool,” “why is my swimming pool green,” “what are the cheapest swimming pools on the market,” etc.
We expect you to do in-depth research to provide accurate and helpful information.
We pay $10 per 100 words.
Responsibilities and duties
Here you should outline the tasks to be executed on a regular basis and how the job functions.
The responsibilities of freelance writers usually are:
- Content research: Analyze what competitors are writing about. Conduct keyword research.
- Content writing: Write engaging headlines, outline the article. Create SEO-optimized content that attracts visitors from search engines.
- Teamwork: Work with marketing teams to audit existing content (analyze metrics like click-through rate, conversion, social shares). Help editors to come up with content ideas.
- Promotion: Publish content on social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram, Medium, and Twitter). Promote articles on third-party websites and guest post on partner publications.
Qualifications and skills
Typical qualifications/requirements include:
- A good grasp of grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- A portfolio that shows excellent writing and editing skills.
Successful freelance writers should have the following skills and traits:
- Creativity (creative thinking is crucial to adapt the writing to the audience).
- Research skills (it is crucial to gather information from multiple sources).
- Understanding Search Engine Optimization (online writers need to publish articles that attract visitors from Google).
- Communication (writers need to work with marketing teams).
More information about the job
Here is some useful information to take into consideration before hiring a freelance writer:
- Salary: between $20 and $100 per 1000 words.
- Training time: a few hours.
- Workload: there is no minimal workload.
You can train freelance writers with this guide: How to Become a Successful Freelance Writer.