Do you want to write a job description that attracts competent social media managers?
Good news: we have put together a job description template that you can adapt to your needs!
Choose the right job title
Your job title is the first thing that candidates see!
It is crucial to choose a job title that accurately describes the tasks and responsibilities of your position. Here are some job titles you can use to hire social media managers:
- Social media manager (manages Facebook pages, Instagram accounts, etc.)
- Social media strategist (manages social media accounts and plans social media strategies)
- Community manager (will post content under their own account)
- Social media specialist (creates and publishes content on all social media platforms)
Write a descriptive job summary
A job summary is an overview of the expectations that come with the job. It introduces the main point of the job description, like key responsibilities, functions, and duties.
Here’s a job summary template that you can adapt to your position:
We are looking for an outstanding social media manager for our pizzeria.
Your role will be to update social media accounts and create engaging content to attract new followers. You are also expected to engage with local influencers and launch social media marketing campaigns to attract new customers.
Finally, you should manage our community by responding to comments, and get in touch with our team to address complaints.
Responsibilities and duties
Here you should outline the tasks to be executed on a regular basis and how the job functions.
The responsibilities of social media managers usually are:
- Running social media marketing campaigns to attract new customers.
- Reporting the success (or failure) of marketing campaigns.
- Responding to comments on social media.
- Collaborating with marketing teams to publish engaging content that aligns with the company’s brand.
- Getting in touch with local influencers.
Qualifications and skills
Typical qualifications/requirements include:
- Usually required: Social media marketing experience.
- Preferred: Degrees in English literature, psychology, sociology, and communication studies.
Successful social media managers should have the following skills and traits:
- Communication (essential for social media managers)
- Data analysis (social media managers use A/B testing to optimize their posts)
- Creativity (the key to being successful is to try different types of posts and understanding what sticks)
- Graphic design (crucial to make engaging images)
- Customer service (bringing customers back is the number one reason businesses have accounts on social media)
More information about the job
Here is some useful information to take into consideration before hiring a social media manager:
- Salary: $15 per hour (on average).
- Training time: a few days.
- Workload: at least 5 hours per week.
You can train social media managers with this guide: How to Become a Social Media Manager.