Some art students think finding a part-time job and earning extra cash while studying art in college is challenging.
Nothing could be further from the truth. In reality, the job search for art students is not as hard as it seems. Many part-time jobs are available for art students in various fields, such as digital design, internet marketing, social media management, photography, and more.
In this article, I gathered the best part-time jobs available for art students. The art jobs that appear on this list have flexible hours, a decent salary, and use the skills of art students.
Let’s dive in!
1. Freelance Graphic Designer
- Salary: $19 per hour.
- Workload: 87% of positions are full-time.
- Low Demand: 113 graphic designer jobs are available on
Art students are often hired by small businesses to design logos, magazine covers, advertisements, and other graphic materials. Digital design is the perfect match for art students who need flexible hours and remote work.
Many online graphic design jobs are available on platforms like Fiverr, Upwork, and other job boards. However, the salary on these platforms is really low at the beginning. This is why many freelance graphic designers work directly with local businesses and online agencies that might need their help (web development agencies, magazines, etc.).
- Required: A strong portfolio of logos, illustrations, or other graphics
- Preferred: Familiarity with design software (such as InDesign, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Photoshop)
2. Social Media Assistant
- Salary: $15 per hour.
- Workload: 100% of positions are full-time.
- Low Demand: 16 social media assistant jobs are available on
Social media assistants make money by representing companies on social networks. Their responsibilities include publishing images on Instagram to promote products, replying to comments, scheduling Facebook posts, shooting videos, and anything else required to promote a brand on social media.
Many art students have the skills required to become successful social media assistants: creativity, graphic design, and communication skills. However, this part-time job requires thorough training in algorithms, human behavior, and specific platform policies about social media posts.
- Usually required: Social media marketing experience.
- Preferred: Being a graduate student with a Bachelor’s degree in fine arts.
3. Freelance Photographer
- Salary: $17 per hour.
- Workload: 85% of positions are full-time.
- Low Demand: 133 photographer jobs are available on
Freelance photographers have a flexible schedule that suits art students’ availabilities.
There are many opportunities to make money by taking pictures such as:
- Event photography (festivals, weddings, etc)
- Advertising for local businesses (bakeries, kennels, etc.)
- Professional pictures (music bands, influencers, lawyers, etc.)
The best way to find freelance photography jobs is cold outreach!
- A portfolio of beautiful pictures.
- Working knowledge of Photoshop.
4. Video Editor
- Salary: $22 per hour.
- Workload: 93% of positions are full-time.
- Low Demand: 135 video editor jobs are available on
More and more businesses need videos to promote their services on Youtube and Instagram. It is a golden opportunity to make money as a freelance video editor.
- A stunning video editing portfolio.
- Extensive experience with editing software (e.g. Lightworks, Premiere, After Effects or Final Cut).
5. Marketing Assistant
- Salary: $16 per hour.
- Workload: 92% of positions are full-time.
- Low Demand: 206 marketing assistant jobs are available on
Marketing professionals often rely on assistants to carry out support duties and help with the overall project.
Your visual arts education will definitely come in handy when it comes to designing flyers for marketing campaigns. However, you will also need to learn some skills on the fly, like analyzing data, writing spreadsheets, and building questionnaires.
- Preferred: Administration, sales, or marketing experience.