Do you want to work as a freelance web developer?
Good news, I have gathered all the crucial information you need to make an informed decision.
Let’s dive in!
What do freelance web developers do?
Freelance web developers build websites for organizations and small businesses.
Freelance web development involves:
- Reaching out to potential clients: local businesses, lawyers, photographers, music bands, influencers, etc.
- Understanding the client’s needs: talk with your client about the project and estimate the web development cost.
- Sketching a basic concept website: build multiple draft versions, make revisions as requested by the client.
- Publishing the website: find a host server, buy a domain name, and upload the website.
- Create the layout of the website with HTML and CSS.
- Host the website on a fast and secure server.
- Create documentation on how to modify and expand the website.
- Maintain and update the website.
How to get hired as a freelance web developer
Do you want to land freelance web development jobs?
First, there are some skills you need to master.
Qualifications and requirements
Not everyone has the qualifications to work as a freelance web developer. The typical requirements include:
- A portfolio of websites that highlights web development skills.
- Proof that you can develop websites with WordPress or other CMSs.
You also need to master basic freelance web development skills:
- Communication (crucial to adapt the website to our needs)
- Search Engine Optimization (to get visitors from search engines like Google)
- Responsive design skills (to make the website usable on mobile devices)
It takes at least a few weeks to learn the ins and outs of the job. If you want to get an edge over your competition, feel free to read our guide: How to Become a Freelance Web Developer.
Who hires freelance web developers?
Consider contacting these employers if you want to land freelance web development jobs:
- Small businesses (to promote their products and services)
- Individuals (lawyers, photographers, music bands, influencers, etc.)
- Web development companies
For this position, you can expect a salary of $20 per hour (on average).
Freelance web developers need to work at least 15 hours per week.