Do you want to work as a freelance writer?
Good news, I have gathered all the crucial information you need to make an informed decision.
Let’s dive in!
What do freelance writers do?
Freelance writers get paid to write:
- Web content (blog posts, product descriptions, web pages, etc.)
- Video and radio scripts (Youtube video scripts, podcast scripts)
- Emails (marketing emails, newsletters)
- Press releases (for small businesses and online companies)
- Magazine articles
- Newspaper articles
- Content research: Analyze what competitors are writing about. Conduct keyword research.
- Content writing: Write engaging headlines, outline the article. Create SEO-optimized content that attracts visitors from search engines.
- Teamwork: Work with marketing teams to audit existing content (analyze metrics like click-through rate, conversion, social shares). Help editors to come up with content ideas.
- Promotion: Publish content on social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram, Medium, and Twitter). Promote articles on third-party websites and guest post on partner publications.
How to get hired as a freelance writer
Do you want to land freelance writing jobs?
First, there are some skills you need to master.
Qualifications and requirements
Not everyone has the qualifications to work as a freelance writer. The typical requirements include:
- A good grasp of grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- A portfolio that shows excellent writing and editing skills.
You also need to master basic freelance writing skills:
- Creativity (creative thinking is crucial to adapt the writing to the audience).
- Research skills (it is crucial to gather information from multiple sources).
- Understanding Search Engine Optimization (online writers need to publish articles that attract visitors from Google).
- Communication (writers need to work with marketing teams).
It takes at least a few hours to learn the ins and outs of the job. If you want to get an edge over your competition, feel free to read our guide: How to Become a Successful Freelance Writer.
Who hires freelance writers?
Consider contacting these employers if you want to land freelance writing jobs:
- Content farms
- Blogs and websites
- Small businesses
For this position, you can expect a salary of $22 per hour (on average).
The good news is that the working hours are very flexible.