Do you want to work as a social media manager?
Good news, I have gathered all the crucial information you need to make an informed decision.
Let’s dive in!
What do social media managers do?
Social media managers make money by representing companies on social networks.
Many companies hire social media managers to:
- Attract fans to their social media account
- Turn these fans into customers
- Turn these customers into advocates
Here are some of the methods used to execute this 3-step process:
- Attracting fans: publishing engaging content, promoting the brand with paid advertising, reaching out to local influencers, etc.
- Turning fans into customers: responding to questions about the product/service, retargeting advertisements, etc.
- Turning these customers into advocates: organizing giveaways (share this post to win our product), create communities on Reddit and other forums, etc.
- Running social media marketing campaigns to attract new customers.
- Reporting the success (or failure) of marketing campaigns.
- Responding to comments on social media.
- Collaborating with marketing teams to publish engaging content that aligns with the company’s brand.
- Getting in touch with local influencers.
How to get hired as a social media manager
Do you want to land social media management jobs?
First, there are some skills you need to master.
Qualifications and requirements
Not everyone has the qualifications to work as a social media manager. The typical requirements include:
- Usually required: Social media marketing experience.
- Preferred: Degrees in English literature, psychology, sociology, and communication studies.
You also need to master basic social media management skills:
- Communication (essential for social media managers)
- Data analysis (social media managers use A/B testing to optimize their posts)
- Creativity (the key to being successful is to try different types of posts and understanding what sticks)
- Graphic design (crucial to make engaging images)
- Customer service (bringing customers back is the number one reason businesses have accounts on social media)
It takes at least a few days to learn the ins and outs of the job. If you want to get an edge over your competition, feel free to read our guide: How to Become a Social Media Manager.
Who hires social media managers?
Consider contacting these employers if you want to land social media management jobs:
- Social media marketing companies
- Small businesses (restaurants, flower shops, etc.)
- Individuals (politicians, photographers, lawyers, etc.)
- Event organizers (festivals, weddings, etc.)
For this position, you can expect a salary of $15 per hour (on average).
Social media managers need to work at least 5 hours per week.
Social media managers wear many hats; they can also adapt to other positions:
- Content marketer
- Brand strategist
- Market researcher
- Marketing generalist
Many social media managers build their own social media marketing agency and provide social media consulting.