Website Tempe Union High School District
Department: Teaching and Learning
Reports to: Principal or Designee
Placement: $15.00 per hour (part-time, non-exempt hourly position)
Term: School Year based on District Student Calendar
Position Summary: The AVID Tutor position assists, supports, and works closely with students to be a positive role model and serve as an advocate for the students’ academic and social growth. This is a grant funded, part-time hourly position. Continuation of the position is determined by available funding each school year.
- Tutor students in designated subject areas using the AVID Tutorial methods and activities
- Tutor students individually or in small groups based on need and content comprehension
- Assist students with comprehension of in-class and homework assignments
- Provide assistance in developing study skills for student success
- Establish and maintain rapport with students
- Facilitate student learning in a challenging, yet supportive tutoring environment
- Establish contact with and works in cooperation with the subject area teacher(s)
- Review student binders, including calendars, class and textbook notes, etc.
- Is well-organized and has skills to multi-task
- Participates in all required trainings, professional development sessions and meetings.
Training and Experience:
- Prior experience in AVID Tutorial methods and motivational activities
- Experience working with high school students
- Possess a high level of verbal and written communication skills and maintain rapport with student and staff
- Be self-directed
- High School Diploma
- Current enrolled student in a college or university
- Principles and techniques used in developing training materials using a variety of electronic formats and media.
- AVID Tutorial method and motivational activities
- The Socratic method
- High school level subject areas
Applicant Instructions: Please complete the online Classified application found at www.tempeunion.org “Work at TUHSD” link
An Equal Opportunity Employer: Tempe Union High School District is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate against any individual on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, gender, marital status, religion, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, or socioeconomic status. Inquiries concerning Title VI, Title VII, Title IX may be referred to the Director of Student Affairs and District Safety, and Section 504 may be referred to the Section 504 Coordinator, 500 West Guadalupe Road, Tempe Arizona 85283-3599, (480) 839-0292. In accordance with Arizona law and Governing Board Policy, Tempe Union High School District is a smoke-free, tobacco-free work environment.