ERM is seeking a self-starting, dynamic Consultant, Ecology/Biology (Entry Level) to join our consulting team in Minneapolis, MN. As part of our Impact Assessment Team, you will provide high-quality analytical support to ERM clients through close work with other team members. Assignments will include desktop-based work as well as travel to conduct fieldwork (potentially up to 80% of the time). This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced professional to join a growing and exciting team, and to build a rewarding career path with a global leader in environmental and sustainability consulting.
With appropriate guidance and supervision, provide creative and fit-for-purpose technical analyses in your own areas of specialization and support additional analyses outside of your areas of specialization, working collaboratively with experts in other fields and with other technical backgrounds.
- Task leadership and performance of habitat assessments, acoustic and or mist-nest surveys.
- Process acoustic files through automated software programs.
- Conduct roost emergence counts.
- Conduct hibernaculum surveys.
- Support conducting additional protected species surveys including but not limited to pre-construction nesting bird and other special status species surveys, construction monitoring, and field wetland delineations.
- Maintain, organize, and inventory equipment.
- Prepare daily progress reports and field assessment reports.
- Handheld and sub-meter accurate GPS data collection.
- May also be tasked with conducting desktop constraints analysis using ArcGIS Online.
- Coordinate and lead survey teams.
- Coordinate with site personnel on a daily basis.
- This position will require a long-term field deployment and frequent long-distance travel.
- Perform desktop analyses, field-based surveys, and data analysis/reporting for projects.
- Provide technical consulting and permitting support in a variety of sectors including oil and gas, power and transmission, mining, and renewable/alternative energy.
- Perform project activities to contribute to the successful completion of client deliverables through the collection of field data, organizing and analyzing collected data, literature review, and report writing.
- Utilize digital tools for data collection and mapping including ArcGIS Online, Survey123, etc.
- Work within budget/schedule expectations and ensure high quality standards on project deliverables.
- Communicate effectively with internal staff, subcontractors, clients, and regulators.
- Complete work assignments in accordance with ERM’s format and quality standards, and health and safety standards.
- BA/BS or Master’s degree in biology, natural resource science, or related discipline. Or equivalency of 8+ years related experience.
- 3+ years of experience conducting biological surveys for bats, vegetation, wetlands, and/or wildlife; natural resource permitting; and/or impact assessment. Experience preferred in:
- Ecological based approach in conducting habitat assessments and vegetation community identification to determine habitat suitability for a wide range of species
- Conducting wildlife surveys, particularly bats and other species a plus
- Effective written/verbal communication, organizational/analytical skills, leadership skills, and experience with technical writing or strong desire for technical writing.
- Ability and determination to obtain a Federal permit for Indiana, Gray, Virginia Big-Eared and/or Northern Long Eared Bat.
- Demonstrated experience and proficiency in use of passive and handheld real-time bat detectors (e.g.: Echometer Touch, SM3, SM4, MINI BAT), use of automated acoustic software (Sonobat and Kaleidoscope Pro), and visual identification of bat species by sonogram, particularly Myotid bats.
- Positive and effective communication with project or task managers.
- Effective technical writing and oral communication skills.
- Problem solving and decision making skills.
- Detail-oriented, responsible, well organized, professional, and self-motivated.
- Pre-exposure rabies vaccinations and recent titre check preferred but not required.
- Willingness and ability to travel and conduct field work for short- and long-term deployments as needed, sometimes in remote locations in variable weather conditions and across challenging terrain.
- Experience using ArcGIS, Garmin and/or Trimble GPS, and other survey related equipment and programs.
- Strong commitment to safety, including following established ERM and client Health & Safety protocols.
- Ability to multi-task, work within a diverse team, maintain flexibility with scheduling, adapt to changing project deadlines/details, and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated leadership skills or willingness to become an effective team leader. Strong desire to grow and develop in career.
- Demonstrated attributes to become an effective consultant, including but not limited to being a team player, developing/maintaining client relationships, coordination and relationship building with regulatory agencies, eager to continue learning and growing, a self-starter who takes initiative, versatile technical abilities, and having a service-oriented mentality.
- Demonstrated interest in business consulting and environmental/social issues (either through related coursework, previous employment, or personal endeavors).
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record.
Qualified candidates will be contacted via email, and asked to complete an online video questionnaire. Based on a review of these responses, short-listed candidates will be invited for interviews. Thank you for your interest in ERM!
ERM does not accept recruiting agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our job alias, ERM employees, or any other company location. ERM is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Who We Are
As the largest global pure play sustainability consultancy, we partner with the world’s leading organizations, creating innovative solutions to sustainability challenges and unlocking commercial opportunities that meet the needs of today while preserving opportunity for future generations.
At ERM we know that creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment is an essential part of making our company a great place to build a career. We also see our diversity as a strength that helps us create better solutions for our clients. Our diverse team of world-class experts supports clients across the breadth of their organizations to operationalize sustainability, underpinned by our deep technical expertise in addressing their environmental, health, safety, risk and social issues. We call this capability our “boots to boardroom” approach for its comprehensive service model that allows ERM to develop strategic and technical solutions that advance objectives on the ground or at the executive level.
Please submit your resume and brief cover letter. Based on review of these responses, shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews.
ERM does not accept recruiting agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, ERM employees or any other company location. ERM is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
ERM is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Thank you for your interest in ERM!